Full course description
This five week-long module course teaches fundamental commercial drone operations and software applications. The key learning objectives include 1) passing the FAA Part 107 exam, 2) learning to create 3-D models from drone data, 3) a wide range of practical skillsets such as filing FAA waivers, requesting ATC authorization and programming autonomous missions and 4) flight skills. The 3-D models and maps will be created using ContextCapture, one the industry’s leading SfM software packages. The course uses a cutting-edge flight simulation program to teach flight skills. Access to ContextCapture and the flight simulator are included with the course. Click this link for a video overview of the course.
This course is divided into 5, week-long modules. Dr. Joe Burgett will guide you through the material and hold conference calls on Monday at 2:30 pm EST to answer questions and review difficult concepts. These conference calls will compliment a comprehensive library of videos, voiceover PowerPoints and written e-material. Hard copies of the course’s e-material will also be provided. Those wishing for a more autonomous e-learning experience are encourage to take the “Self-Paced” offering of this course.
This course requires access to a smart device and a PC computer. MS Windows 8.1 or better, Intel/AMD CPU 3.4GHz, any Nvidia, AMD or Intel GPU compatible with OpenGL 3.2, 8Gb RAM, and 50Gb – SATA Drive. Macs do not support ContextCapture; however, workarounds such as hard drive partitioning or virtual PC desktops are possible.
· Part 107 exam preparation
· Complete Part 107 preparation and Pass Exam!
· Begin flight training with simulator
· Review mission checklists for safe drone operation
· Controlled airspace LAANC authorization
· Learn to program waypoint assisted missions
· Create a basic 3D photogrammetric model
· Continue flight training with simulator
· Additional flight training with simulator
· Use surveyed Ground Control Points to enhance your models
· Take off material quantities (volume and area) from your models
· Learn to improve models by removing unwanted artifacts
· Final round of simulated flight training putting your flight skills to the test
· Create a contour line map from your 3D model
· Create aerial and sectional orthophotos from your 3D models