Full course description
This 5-module course teaches fundamental commercial drone operations and software applications. The key learning objectives include 1) passing the FAA Part 107 exam, 2) learning to create 3-D models from drone data, 3) a wide range of practical skillsets such as filing FAA waivers, requesting ATC authorization and programming autonomous missions and 4) flight skills. The 3-D models and maps will be created using ContextCapture, one the industry’s leading SfM software packages. The course uses a cutting-edge flight simulation program to teach flight skills. Access to ContextCapture and the flight simulator are included with the course. Click this link for a video overview of the course.
Students can complete the 5-modules at their own speed over a 10-week period. A comprehensive library of videos, voiceover PowerPoints and written e-material will clearly communicate how to complete the course activities and teach you essential drone skillsets. Those wishing for a more structured course offering are encouraged to take the “Instructor-Led” version of this course.
This course requires access to a smart device and a PC computer. Microsoft Windows 7/8 or 10 Professional 64-bit with at least 32 GB of RAM, an 8-core CPU and an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti graphics card. Macs are not supported by ContextCapture at this time.
· Part 107 exam preparation
· Complete Part 107 preparation and Pass Exam!
· Begin flight training with simulator
· Review mission checklists for safe drone operation
· Controlled airspace LAANC authorization
· Learn to program waypoint assisted missions
· Create a basic 3D photogrammetric model
· Continue flight training with simulator
· Additional flight training with simulator
· Use surveyed Ground Control Points to enhance your models
· Take off material quantities (volume and area) from your models
· Learn to improve models by removing unwanted artifacts
· Final round of simulated flight training putting your flight skills to the test
· Create a contour line map from your 3D model
· Create aerial and sectional orthophotos from your 3D models
You have 10 weeks to complete the course. Please contact Dr. Joe Burgett at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions.